So here's what you need:
1. 20 or 24 gauge jewelry wire - Don't use plain "craft wire", because it will tarnish and mar as you work with it. I use Argentium wire from Hobby Lobby.
2. Any bead (or beads) of your choice. Pearls are nice, since they kind of look like eggs already.
3. Needle-nose jewelry pliers
4. Jewelry wire cutters
5. Jewelry chain
6. Small jump ring mandrel
Here's how to do it:
2. Then begin wrapping the bead in the wire.
3. So far, so good, right? Just keep winding the wire around the bead until you get to the desired nest size.
4. You'll notice that the nest feels a bit loose around your bead egg. When this happens, weave the end of the wire through the back of the nest a few times. This will tighten up the wraps.
5. Twist the wire around the jump ring mandrel to make a small ring and the top of the nest. This is where you will attach the nest to the chain.
6. Cut the extra wire and weave it into the nest so it doesn't scratch or hang on anything. And there you have your cute little nest!
Just attach the nest to some jewelry chain using a jump ring and you have a beautiful, and meaningful gift!
Don't know quite yet what's up next. Any suggestions??
Have a wonderfully happy Thanksgiving!